Sunday, January 20, 2019

An Addition to Our Year of Less

I got my first iPhone back in 2013, half way through nursing school. I remember getting it, setting things up, and finding myself wishing I had my 'dumb phone' back. I didn't feel like I needed it; I was doing just fine with my iPod Touch and flip phone!

Cut to now: 2019, where my phone is the first thing I look at in the morning and the last thing I devote time to at night. 2013 me would be shaking her head in shame at the screen-addicted 2019 me. I am so disappointed with myself! The fear of missing out hits me so hard that it's almost a crutch now. I pull my phone out when I'm on my break at work, when I'm waiting in line, and especially when in the car. I'm constantly checking on my Facebook page, seeing what everyone else is up to, and I hop on Instagram to see the newest beautiful photo and witty caption.

But why? I very rarely gain anything that improves my own life, yet I spend, according to my weekly screen time report, upwards of 3, nearly 4 hours on my phone each day! The algorithm Facebook uses now puts just a handful of my friends on my news feed, and I'm genuinely getting sick of some of the stuff those selected people are posting! I can't tell you how often I open my app and find something that irritates me. Either it's something the app itself has done to be obnoxious, like receiving too many repetitive notifications, or having to wade through ads that want me to 'buy, buy, buy!' when we are trying so hard to save every single available penny.

I'm on my phone all the time, yet I don't like the content it presents me. I'm addicted to my screen, and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of telling the people I'm with that my phone is more important than they are. I'm especially tired of picking my phone over my husband. Earlier this week, I had just finished a long, tiring day at work, and was waiting for Jake to pick me up. He got a quick kiss as he opened the passenger door for me, but I quickly returned to my phone. Then we get home, and I parked myself on the couch. Jake prepared dinner while I simultaneously watched Netflix and looked at my phone. We ate dinner on the  couch, while our TV show continued to play. After dinner we stayed on the couch with another episode playing in the background while we scrolled on our phones. This continued once we were in bed, and the screens only went black a few seconds before the lights went out.

I'm sorry if that dragged on a little, but I needed to prove my point. My husband is the best, kindest, most attentive man I've ever known, and yet I looked him in the face maybe 20 minutes that evening. That is pathetic. I am married to a man I love so much and I barely looked at him all night. 

Netflix is NOT more important than my marriage.
My cell phone is NOT more interesting than my husband.
My electronics are NOT a priority over the people in my life.

I have had enough!

This brings me to the addition to the Miller Year of Less. Along with less spending and more saving, there will also be less screen time this year. My phone does not need to be in my back pocket at all times, nor does it need to be sitting at my side on the couch. My phone has been demoted from 'Most Important Thing' to 'Tool that I Have Control Of".

This means you may have to call me twice if you want to talk to me, and you may need to give me a while before I return your text message. Know that I still love you, and want to keep in contact with you, I'm just making an effort to rely on my phone less.


No comments:

Post a Comment